(August 2012) – It is rice harvest season in Sapa, and we have lots of custom made trekking and home stay tours heading that way. All of the tours will be using the overnight train. Here are some helpful tips to make that journey more pleasant.
- Always pre-book. It is best to have Footprint do this for you at least 2 weeks in advance. And, always book a AC soft sleeper as they are the best value for money, the safest, and most comfortable. All of our Footprint tours use this class of train.
- Always get to the train station at lest 45 minutes early so that you can find your train easily and without stress.
- Bring only what you will need for your tour and leave your other luggage at your hotel or the Footprint office. This is for ease of travel. There is plenty of storage on the train if you do end up bringing lots of luggage.
- The AC soft sleeper cabins have four berths. Two on the bottom and two on the top. If for some reason you think you might have trouble climbing up to the top bunk, be sure to let us know and we will reserve a bottom bunk for you.
- The cabins all have a little table, great for playing cards and other games. Some cabins do have an electrical outlet, but not all of them.
- Bring some of your favourite goodies and drinks with you. The ones offered on the train are sometimes double in price.
- The toilets on the train are not consistent, bring some toilet paper and baby wipes just in case.
- Bring earplugs if you are not an easy sleeper.
- The last stop is Lao Cai so you don’t have to worry about missing your stop, someone will come and wake you up.
- Finally, when you get out of the train station keep you eyes open for a sign with the Footprint logo and your name on it!
Oh, and, have fun and meet people! While you are on the train be sure to say hello to your neighbours. Chat about where you’ve been and where you’re heading. The Sapa train is a great place to meet people from around the world.
For more information about our trekking tours to Sapa and beyond you can contact one of our travel consultants at infer[at]footprint.vn Safe and happy travels!